The Village of Bonfield, located in western Kankakee County, is located in Salina Township. The village, originally called Verkler, was platted in 1882. It was incorporated in 1888.
With a population of less than 400 residents, it is home to two beautiful public parks. Bonfield Community Park offers a new playground, fishing and picnicking, There is a covered pavilion used for large events and a walking trail that is nearing completion. Gazebo Park is home to the war mounument and memorial walkway. The gazebo in the park dates from the early 1900's. The Bonfield Garden Club, along with the village board, helps to maintain the landscaping and flower beds.
The original Bonfield School, built in 1885, burned to the ground in 1920. A new school was then built for the 1921 school year and has beeen added on to over the years to meet changing needs. This building was used until 2008 when it was demolished to make way for a larger, more efficient building. It is a part of the Herscher School District and includes preschool, the fourth and fifth grades. Its Gymnasium is also home to the Herscher High School girls basketball team.
Bonfield's churches also date back to the 1800's. they include the Bonfield First United Methodist, Bonfield Evangelical United Methodist, Grand Prairie United Methodist, and Zion Lutheran Church.
A railrod line, running from Kankakee to Seneca, Illinois, was in use until the 1930's. Nothing remains of this old line, except the former Bondield Depot, which now sits intact and enclosed in a large barn south of Bonfield.